The Parish is situated near the east coast of Essex and just south of the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation Canal. This a rural parish of some 200 houses and the majority of people live in and around the village. In the reign of Queen Elizabeth I the church was moved to its present site. The villagers at that time were mainly employed on the surrounding farms. Today with the major reduction of manpower in farming, a large number of the population commute to Chelmsford or London, although some farming continues and the leisure industry of golf forms another means of local employment.
Some pictures of the village from around 1910 to the 1930's
(quality is limited by the web site constraints, better images are available)
Woodham Walter C of E Primary School has about 90 pupils on the roll; some being brought in by parents from outside the village keen to provide a small school environment, but with outstanding teaching, for their child’s education. Other village children attend schools in Danbury or Maldon. The pre-school children are served by Tadpoles Nursery using the Woodham Walter Women’s Club Room in Top Road. Secondary age children attend schools in Maldon, Sandon, Ingatestone or Chelmsford.
The village has just acquired ownership of Bell Meadow, which lies opposite the church, as a public space for use by the community. The village is served by three public houses, The Bell and The Queen Victoria in the village centre and The Cats a little way out of the centre. There is a village hall with good facilities. There are a number of organisations in the village – a Parish Council, a PTA, a Village Hall Committee, a unique Women’s Club, a Silver Threads group, and a newly-formed Friends of St Michael’s; because they all work so well together, a strong sense of community has been forged.
The Bell Pub - 1910, 1930, 1950, 2000
Housing in the village varies from Alms Houses, Housing Association houses and private housing. There are four closes of houses, but no large estates. There are a few larger houses standing in their own grounds, mostly outside the village centre.